Skip to main content

grooming

 

Political parties have long used wedge issues to encourage their members to turn out to vote.  Sometimes these issues are inflammatory, employing demonization, occasionally to the point of being dangerous.  I fear that this year, we are witnessing such an issue: the accusations of pedophilia.

  I realize that the Q-Anon conspiracy theorists have made this an issue for a couple of years now, but there is a new, and much more dangerous twist, that is surfacing that may turn out to be far more insidious.  Rather than merely accusing all Democrats and liberals of being child-trafficking pedophiles who drink children’s blood, they have broadened out the accusation to include grooming children for pedophiles.

  A bit of background:  you may remember the ardent believer who took a gun into a New York pizza parlor where he was told children were being kept in the basement by a cabal of pedophiles led by Hillary Clinton among others.  Fortunately, when he arrived, he was persuaded that no children were being abused, in fact there was no basement, and he surrendered to police without injuring anyone.

  But the “grooming” twist to the conspiracy theory is, to me, much more unsettling, because the scope of accusations can include anyone.  The theory is that pedophiles groom children, sometimes for years, before molesting them.  Moreover, they occasionally have accessories who help with the grooming without engaging in the molestation.  Grooming can include any acts to gain the trust of the child.

  Here’s the insidious nature of this theory:  anyone can be accused of grooming a child simply by being a good neighbor or friend.  If you babysit for a relative or neighbor, if you help a student with their homework, if you give them a Christmas present, any normal act of kindness can be twisted into an act of grooming.  The more acts of kindness you perform, i.e., the nicer you are, the more you may be vilified.

  It’s a brilliant and evil way to demonize the most loving people in one’s community.  I hope I’m wrong about the danger this may manifest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That's How the Light Gets In On Economic Perspective $Million per day My argument in today's blog is that the rich, especially the ultra-rich do not need protection from people advocating redistribution of wealth downward.   I'm recalling "Joe, the Plumber", (who was not named Joe and was not a plumber) who was used by a conservative Presidential candidate to exemplify that liberals would try to tax away the opportunity to start a business and become wealthy.  Also, I've been accused of being a conspiracy theorist when I've complained that the ultra-wealthy collude to protect and increase their massive wealth.    So, I'll address three issues at once: 1.  Are we trying to deprive the wealthy of their lifestyle? 2.  Do ultra-wealthy have the time, resources, and inclination to conspire to strongly influence politics and economics? 3.  To get an idea of economics in general, it helps to have an understanding of wealth. My ans
On Past Judgements Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got til it's gone.  - Joni Mitchell In the 1976 Presidential election, I voted for John Anderson.  I was then, and still am, a liberal.  So, Gerald Ford was not a consideration, especially after he pardoned Nixon, which was unforgivable.  But I didn't trust Jimmy Carter, who claimed to be honest.  I didn't know much about the Southern Baptist Convention, but what I did know was that they opposed most everything that I supported.  Carter was a Southern Baptist, so Carter was out.  Four years later, I had changed my mind, and I enthusiastically supported Carter against Reagan, and over the years I grew to appreciate him more and more. Carter turned out to be much more honest and thoughtful than the average politician.   And he was open to change.  He recently left the Southern Baptist Convention after 60 years due to their belief that women should be subservient to men.   
  The Trump Legend        What is the Trump story?   It will be quite different for followers and detractors.   I believe the reason that so many people can have completely opposite views of the same person and events lies in great part to our American, and perhaps human, myths.       I had occasion once to be watching a televangelist in the company of some fundamentalist in-laws.   Seeing this person crying while singing a hymn, I thought he was the phoniest person I had ever seen.   But one of my wife's aunts turned to me and said, "Isn't he the most sincere person you've ever seen?"   I didn't answer, but it occurred to me that we were sitting in the same room watching the same event with completely opposite views.   I love studying history, but I am now more careful to try and research the historian.       Some of us like to believe in heroic leaders following their "gut instincts" despite evidence to the contrary.   Television characters